Prof. Dr. Sabah S. Al-Rawi
Prof. Dr. Sabah S. Al-Rawi is professor of Linguistics and Translation and is currently Head of the Department of English in the College of Languages, University of Baghdad, Iraq. He has been teaching English at the university for over 27 years. His area of research interests focuses on contrastive linguistics (English-Arabic) syntax, discourse analysis, corpus linguistics, translation and teaching English as a foreign language. He has supervised over 40 M.A. theses and Ph.D dissertations in linguistics and translation.He has also published around 23 research papers and 21 translated articles in peer-reviewed journals.
He has been teaching both undergraduate and postgraduate students at the College of Languages since 1987 and has also been giving lectures in ESP to postgraduate students at the University of Baghdad and Al-Mustansiriya University, Iraq. He is currently supervising a PhD dissertation entitled “Colligation in Arabic-into-English Translation” He earned the title of “Distinguished Professor” of the College of Languages, University of Baghdad, in the year 2000.
Full name: Dr. Sabah S. Mustafa Al-Rawi
Academic title: Professor
Place and date of birth: , Iraq/1956
Marital status: Married
- Office Address : University of Baghdad/College of Languages
b.. Mobile Phone : 07814054381
c.. E-mail Address : email@example.com
-Ph.D. Degree in Linguistics and Translation Al-Mustansiriyah University, Iraq ( 1995)
( Dissertation Title ” A Study of Arabic Collocations with Reference to Translation into English”
-M.A. Degree in Linguistics ,College of Arts , University of Baghdad (1983)
– B.A. Degree in English Language and Literature ,College of Arts, University of Baghdad ( 1977)
- Undergraduate Courses:
Grammar, English-Arabic-English Translation, syntax, Composition, Linguistics, Transformational Grammar, Phonetics , Comprehension, ESP
- Postgraduate Courses:
Linguistics, Contemporary English Grammar, Morphology , Psycholinguistics ,Sociolinguistics, Contrastive Linguistics, Theories of Translation, Semantics, Discourse Analysis ,ESP..
- 2017- up to now ,Editor-in-Chief ,Journal of the College of Languages
- 2013-2017 , Director the Consultation Bureau for Foreign Languages and Translation, College of Languages, University of Baghdad
- 2012-2016 , Head of the English Department ,College of Languages . University of Baghdad
- 2002-2006 ,Assistant Dean for Postgraduate Studies and Scientific Research ,College of Languages, University of Baghdad
- 2003- 2006, Director of the Consultation Bureau for Foreign Languages and Translation .University of Baghdad
- . 2003-2006 ,Head of the Language Proficiency Test Center No. 1,College of Languages . University of Baghdad
- 2000-2002 , Head of the Department of English ,College of Languages,University of Baghdad
- 1998-2001 , Director of the Consultation Bureau for Living Foreign Languages and —-Translation/College of Languages ,University of Baghdad .
Member , Iraqi Translators’ Association
Member , Executive Board, Arab Society of English Studies (ASELS)
Member , Advisory Board , Adab Alrafidian Journal
Member , Advisory Board Al-Ma’arif Al-Jami’a Journal
Member, Advisory Board Al-Ma’moon AL-Jami’a Journal
Member, Advisory Board Arab World English Journal(AWEJ)
Member , Advisory Board of International New Research Journal
Vice-Editor –in –Chief , Journal of Languages
Member , Advisory Board , Journal of the College of Languages
Supervision of postgraduate students
– Supervised (35) postgraduate students. (10) Ph.D. and (25) M.A.
Mustafa ,Sabah S. D. A. Al-Assam (2018) “A Pragmatic Study of English Honorific Forms” Journal of the College of Languages .No. 38 :1-28.
Friginal E. and Mustafa S. (2017) “A comparison of U.S.-based and Iraqi English research article abstracts using corpora” .Journal of English for Academic Purposes Vol.25 : 45-57.
Mustafa .Sabah S. and R. Jummah (2016) “The Difficulties Faced by Iraqi Students in Using English Verbs of Senses” .International New Research Journal Vol.2.No 2 :67-96
Sattar H. Abbood and Mustafa, Sabah S. (2014) “Metaphor in Political Texts and Literary Texts: A Conceptual Analysis “AWEJ Vol.5 No..1: 277- 289.
Mustafa .Sabah S. and Eric Friginal (2013) ” Analyzing a corpus of Iraqi student writing “(TESOL Arabia 2013) TESOL Arabia Conference Proceedings) pp.265-276.
Rasha Ali and Mustafa Sabah (2012)”Investigating College Students’ Competence in Grammatical Collocations” AWEJ Vol.3 No.4: 134 – 159.
Al-Rawi Sabah S.(2010)” Subcategorization Rules with Reference to Translation’ (A Research Paper published in Al-Alsun for Translation ) No. 9.:89-95
Al-Rawi, S.(2008) “Strict sub-categorization Rules in English-Arabic Translation”. Journal of Al-Ma’arif University College. No8:312-356.
Al-Rawi S. (2005) “Four English Translations of Al-Kauthar Sura ; A Critique .The University Researcher”.No.9 : 65-70
Al-Rawi S. (2005)” Affix hopping rule : what, how and why ?” Iraqi Journal of Languages Vol. 3 No.3:5-25
Al-Rawi S. (2003) “Colligation in English and Arabic : a contrastive view” Journal of Languages Vol. 2 No.2:1-15.
Al-Rawi S. (2003) “Rendering Arabic proverbs and sayings into English” Journal of Humanities vol.10 No. 5 :1-12.
Al-Rawi S. and H M Fayadh (2001) “A Contrastive study of pseudopassives in standard English and standard Arabic” The Professor Vol No. 23:38-65.
Al-Rawi S. ( 2001) “The English noun phrase in narrative and scientific texts a stylistic study “The Humanities Journal of Tikrit University Vol. 8 No2:1-17.
Al-Rawi S.(2001) “Six English translations of a Quranic Surah:A Critical Assessment “. Al-Adab Journal .No.57:1-9.
Al-Rawi.S .and Mowaffaq Abdul Hameed (2001) .”Textual Analysis of English Medical Leaflets.” The Humanities Journal of Tikrit University Vol.10 No. 4 :1-25.
Al-Rawi and N Ghassan (2001) “A linguistic analysis of psychological English terms in Arabic” The Scientific Journal of Ttikrit University Vol 8 No.3 1-14.
Al-Rawi S. (2001)”The English split infinitive :A Problem Encountered by Iraqi College Students of English” .The Professor Vol.3. No.27:72-98.
Al-Najem A. and Al-Rawi S. (2000)”Rendering the English Perfect into Arabic : problems and proposed solutions “.Translation and Linguistics Vol.1 :25-53.
Al-Rawi S,.(2001)”Rendering Arabic collocations into English “Journal of College of Languages No.9 :1-17.
Al-Rawi S. and A. N.Sa’ad (1999)”On the position and lineralization of place and time adverbial in English an d Arabic”. The Humanities Journal of Tikrit University Vol 6 No. 3:1-15.
Al-Rawi S.(1998) “Linguistic sexism: A Socio-cultural issue in English and Arabic: A Comparative Study” .The Professor Vol. 1.No21:1-47.
Al-Rawi S. and A. Hussain (1997) “Errors by Iraqi college English-dept. students in using English frequency adverbials : an experimental study”. Journal of College of Teachers Vol.7 :63-74.
Al-Rawi S. (1996)”Error analysis with reference to English negation ” Journal of the College of Education No.12 :1-15.
Al-Najjar M and Al-Rawi S.(1996) “Collocation and lexicalization” Adab Al-Muatansiriyya Vol 28:1-21.
Al-Al-Najim A. and Al-Rawi S. (1989) “Scientific Term: translated or transliterated “.Al–Lisan Al-Araby No.32:85-100.
Al-Bettar A. and Al-Rawi ,S. (1989)” The subjunctive mood in English” . Al-Mustansiriya Literary Review No.17:31-60.
Al-Ani Tariq , Sabah S. Al-Rawi and Ammer Al-Joubory (1990 ) Scientific and Technical Translation (English-Arabic) (1990)Baghdad : Al-Hikma House for Publishing.
A.Books (from English into Arabic)
- Rudal H. Brain and Thomas N. Corns (1987). Computer and Literature : A Practical Guide الحاسبات الالكترونية والادب : دليل تطبيقي (Translated by Al-Rawi Sabah and Mohammed Mowaffaq) Basra: Dar Al-Hikma for Publishing.
2.Johnes Tim and John Higgins( 1984) Computers in Language Learning
في تعلم اللغات الحاسبات الالكترونية
(Translated by Al-Rawi Sabah ,Basim N. Al-Sammarrayi and Hameed M Fayyadh ) Baghdad : Higher Education Press.
- Articles Translated (from English into Arabic)
د صباح صليبي الراوي (2014)” تفحص مفردات اللغة الانكليزية عند الترجمة” للكاتب بيتر نيومارك مجلة الالسن للترجمة العدد الثاني عشر ص 11- 16
د صباح صليبي الراوي (2010)” الترجمة بوصفها مجازا” للكاتب كريكوري راباسا مجلة الالسن للترجمة العدد التاسع ص 32 -39
– د صباح صليبي الراوي (2008)”الافتراض السابق والترجمة” للكاتب بيتر فاوكت مجلة الالسن للترجمة العدد الثامن ص 6-12
د صباح صليبي الراوي (2005)” بعض الاتجاهات الحالية في نظرية الترجمة” للكاتب ديفد كريستل مجلة الالسن للترجمة العدد السادس ص52-59
د صباح صليبي الراوي (2005) “حدود علم الاسلوب التطبيقي” للكاتب ديفد كريستل مجلة الالسن للترجمة العدد السادس ص-175- 181
Conferences & Workshops
(1 ) Attending 4 conferences on Language & Translation ,University of Baghdad , Iraq.(2001-2015).
(2)conference on Translation at Applied Science University , Jordan ,2001
paper title ” Rendering Arabic collocations into English”
(3) workshop on Teaching English as a foreign Language at Guta Institute in Germany 2004
(4) 19th International TESOL Arabia Conference in Dubai UAE 14-16 March 2013
Paper title(co-author) “Analyzing a corpus of Iraqi student writing”
(5)workshop on Methods of Teaching English at Georgia State University ,USA in 1-30 July 2013.
Paper presented under the title “How to teach English Adverbials effectively”
(6) Workshop on Teaching Translation b at Leicester University , UK in 10 Nov. -10 Dec 2015.
- Proof-reader of over 40 M.Sc theses. & Ph.D. dissertations (ESP).
- Anonymous reviewer of over 44 research papers .
- Anonymous reviewer of over 40 theses & Ph.D dissertations in Linguistics and Translation
4.Translator of over 25 newspapers articles (English into Arabic)
- External examiner
- Member of Viva-Voice Examination Committee(over 40 MA Theses and PhD. Dissertations)